Wednesday 3 March 2010

Session 7

Feeling impulsive, I set off to find the old Guild HQ immediatly.

I head straight out of the city and get almost entirly eaten by monsters. It turns out that monsters appear on the very-zoomed-out outside-the-city view and can run up and get you if you're not careful.

Thankfully I can flee before my whole team is killed and I head into town to get healed. This costs me the last of my gold.

Never mind - I try again. This time I run round any monsters I see and head up round the back of the city.

Interestingly, as I head round the city wall I pass giant "Air roots"

Don't know what these are, but they're impressive! I guess they're some kind of city-wide ventillation system like Mega City 1 has in the (terribly) Judge Dredd film... Only you can't get in them. At least not at the moment.

further north of town there's a huge cliff reaching up to a plateux high above. There's no way up, but I follow the cliff face round - dodging monsters - until I catch sight of a green blobbly thing. It's smaller than I was expecting, but I dart in, to get away from beasties...

Inside, I'm back into First Person 3D-o-vision. I don't know if this is the palce I'm meant to be. It COULD be... The walls are all mossy and there's heaps of big green... well... wangs. They look like wangs. They even have bulbous ends and veins up them... all OVER the place. If I was the insane soul of a bitter mage, I can imagine the plant-building I'd fused with might well come out something like this... In such an intentionally alien world, it's a little tough to be sure this is where I'm meant to be...

It's very dark so I light a flare and give it to Hofstedt (since he's clearly the rubbishest at fighting).

Apart from the darkness, it's actually quite a nice place - for a mossy wang den. There's flowers all over the walls and floor that make it look quite cheery.

The torch light extends a couple of meters ahead of me as I walk around - and as I come round a corner I see another light in the distance. The killer?

It comes closer - doesn't look like a person much... Just then, the game kicks up some text saying "There is a giant glowing fly coming your way!"

Err - that's bad news! I run away but it's no use the bug catches me! This is definatly death again isn't it!

But no! The fly gets right in my face and the game says "The fly looks at you, then just goes away..."

Phew! Lucky.

I carry on a little further. There's a heap of debris on the ground and when I look at it, it says "These are probably remains of people eaten by the monsters in this cave".

Cave? Oh nuts. Not an old guild-house fused with the spirit of a mental mage? Still - there's an axe and a sword on the corpse - both about 3 times as kick-ass as the kitchen knives everyone's carrying at the moment. I pick them up and save my game - thanking my good luck!

As I explore a little further I find some crazy grey plants. I can examine them and Tom tells me they're "Grey plants". But I can interact with them too! And what an interaction! turns out if you poke them they turn into rainbow disco plants! They flash all the colours you can imagine and light up the room! Awesome!

I switch on all the grey plants I can find, and am just walking into the next room, not looking where I'm going, when Tom drops dead!

The game pauses to ask me who should lead next and I pick my Iskai lady whose name I've still forgotten to write down.

As soon as it un-pauses, she drops dead too! What the hell's happening!?!?

The game pauses again and I have to pick Hofstedt to lead...

As soon as the game comes back again it the game flashes up a message about "The beast grabs you with its claws and drags you towards it!"

What!?? What beast! No! I want to flee! Please! I'm not ready..!

But it's no good. Everyone is fatally wounded and (as the rather bleak message the game pumps out puts it) dies a while later...

Taken down by an un-seen, clawing horror in a flowery rainbow disco cave... That's at least more dignified than last time, although I'm starting to wonder if I should've saved when I did...

1 comment:

  1. The guy walking around with his cattle would have described the way to you if you had asked him :)
    (And a more direct one than the way you took on top of that). Anyway, you're in the right place. I think the message describing it as a cave just tried to explain away its being so small on the overworld map.

    I've never thought of wangs seeing those structures, but now that you say it...

    I'm not quite sure which of the traps got you. One of them you should actually have seen before it killed you, but in contrast to the other it at least has claws.
    Ah, it will have been the one with claws. That never got me because.. well, I'm not spoiling that just yet.

    ReplyDelete